Thursday 27 August 2009

The Law of Lettuce


Starfish, lemons and numerous other animals, vegetables and minerals have found their way into management laws and principles, in recent years.

So I thought it was about time that I came up with one of my own, the Law of Lettuce.
This idea came to me as I threw away yet another unopened bag of salad leaves, as I do most weeks, typically about 4 days after I've paid £2 for the bag of once crispy green leaves. Some weeks we get as many as 2 portions of salad from our 'washed and ready to eat' lettuce before it turns brown at the edges and is laid to rest in the compost heap, though all too often it's wilted long before we even get to it.
As I went back to the fridge I found that someone had kindly left us a whole iceberg lettuce which I was able to put to good use in that night's salad. And the next night's and the one after that and another several days later. The iceberg lettuce not only produced more portions than the bag, it lasted three times as long, yet it cost a fraction of the price of the bagged rocket we'd come to rely upon.
The Law of Lettuce was born. In business and life we waste vast amounts of money on superfluous goods and services, which we mistakenly believe are essential when less expensive and better options are ignored, simply because they feel a bit old fashioned or drab.

As I consider where the lettuce is in my business, items like expensive lawyers, taxi fares and air conditioning fall into the 'bagged rocket' category whilst common sense, walking and working barefoot could be classed as the icebergs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, let me know what you think;